Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Goin' Patchy

So I've been absent from the blog for a long while -- and unfortunately, I predict I'll be absent for a bit longer.

For the past two weeks I had been losing vision in my left eye.  Not too concerning, at first, since it wasn't consistent:  some days I dealt with strange shadows, but on others I could see almost perfectly, so I avoided a doctor until Friday.

On Saturday I rushed to Richmond, VA, for emergency surgery.  Turns out I could've gone blind if I waited too much longer.

The wonderful doctors saved my vision, but it won't entirely return for a whole year.  So for now I'm stuck with 20/70 vision in my left eye -- and that's with glasses.  Frankly, my vision in that eye is so wonky, I have to wear an eyepatch to keep it from interfering with my right eye.  Otherwise it'd be like going through life wearing only one contact -- and when your prescription is in the double digits, that's more than uncomfortable.

So, eyepatch it is.

2 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about that Sam, but I'm so glad you're okay! And hey, an eyepatch might not be a bad thing... could be an awesome way to do research for a pirate story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha a lot of friends told me that same thing! My WIP, THE LOST FIGUREHEAD, is a pirate book, but nobody has an eyepatch. I may have to change that, since I'm quickly becoming an expert.

      Delete